The Fee on Elections was requested to be lenient after 2022 candidates Leody de Guzman and Walden Bello didn’t safe a allow for his or her proclamation rally.
De Guzman and Bello, who’re working beneath the political social gathering Lakas ng Masa, kicked off their marketing campaign on the Bantayog ng mga Bayani in Quezon Metropolis on Tuesday, February 8.
Nevertheless, an official from the Comelec mentioned that their camp didn’t safe a allow to conduct this marketing campaign exercise.
“Per our information from the NCR, they didn’t obtain any utility for the conduct of any mode of marketing campaign from the group of Ka Leody De Guzman,” mentioned Comelec’s Schooling and Data Division Director Elaiza David in a briefing.
Based mostly on experiences, De Guzman and Bello nonetheless pushed by means of with their plans regardless of the chance of electoral violations.
They met with different labor teams in entrance of ABS-CBN’s headquarters and proceeded with the motorcade to the venue.
As of writing, the proclamation rally continues to be ongoing.
Guidelines on conducting election campaigns
In keeping with Comelec’s Decision 10732, purposes for election marketing campaign actions must be secured 72 hours forward of the scheduled date.
Nationwide candidates ought to submit their purposes to the regional COMELEC Marketing campaign Committee (RCCC).
Violations of those necessities might lead to election offenses.
In part 27 of the directive, penalties for election offenses embrace jail time of as much as six years.
Candidates may face disqualification and deprivation of the best to suffrage.
In an interview with reporters, De Guzman said that he’s ready to face attainable election offenses.
Nevertheless, the presidential aspirant is hopeful that he received’t be disqualified from the race.
Calls addressed to Comelec
Some Filipinos on-line hoped that the ballot physique would give the tandem an opportunity and never take into account this incident as an election offense.
“Baka i-remind na lang muna ng COMELEC sa pointers at wag muna iconsider na election offense,” one Twitter person said.
“COMELEC, it’s actually only a allow subject. Paper, like a cedula. And of all locations, sa Bantayog ng mga Bayani?” one other Twitter person commented.
Others had been saddened by this growth.
“That is heartbreaking. These accountable to do their job inside his social gathering have to be sacked. Whereas I’m not rooting for him, nakakalungkot ito,” a Twitter person said.
“Unhappy itong nangyayari ngayon kina Leody dahil umaasa rin ang supporters ang nag-aabang sa kanya,” one other person tweeted.
Clarification from Comelec
In a separate interview, ballot spokesperson James Jimenez clarified that what the Comelec is attempting to control with the permits are the mass gatherings amid the nonetheless raging COVID-19 pandemic.
“Hindi po ipinagbabawal mangampanya ang kahit sino, pero yung mga public occasions – yung mga mass gatherings – yun ang nire-regulate natin, hindi yung proper to marketing campaign,” Jimenez mentioned.
“I simply wish to make that very clear as a result of I’m a bit involved na, you realize, one thing is perhaps misplaced within the message na folks may all of a sudden suppose na ipinagbabawal ang pangangampanya,” he added.
Jimenez additionally additional identified that different types of campaigning are allowed.
“What’s being regulated is the mass gathering – so yun po ang topic ng ating regulation. They’ll nonetheless marketing campaign utilizing different modes of campaigning however they can not maintain mass gatherings and not using a allow,” he mentioned.
The marketing campaign interval for the nationwide positions began on February 8 and can final till Could 7, 2022.