Writer: DA Communications Group | 13 March 2022
The Philippines is pushing for the usage of disruptive technological platforms to allow the transformation of agricultural processes, not solely within the Philippines, however within the Asia-Pacific area.
Agriculture Secretary William Dar highlighted the usage of disruptive applied sciences, like e-commerce and international positioning techniques (GPS), as means to elevating agriculture onto the twenty first century, in his nation assertion in the course of the Ministerial Roundtable on Greener and Higher Agri meals Programs after Covid-19, on the thirty sixth session of the Asia Pacific Regional Convention (APRC) of the Meals and Agriculture Group of the United Nations (FAO) in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Disruptive applied sciences are improvements that considerably alter the best way that farmers, fishers, shoppers, industries or companies function, changing previous techniques or conventional practices and bringing new, cost-efficient and superior attributes, added Secretary Dar, who was elected as one of many vice chairpersons and rapporteur of the convention’s ministerial assembly.
He highlighted the success of the DA’s flagship packages applied on the peak of the Covid-19 lockdowns, just like the “Kadiwa ni Ani at Kita” (or One Thought, One Thought for Bountiful Harvests and Incomes) that gives different direct market channels, benefiting each farmers’ cooperatives and associations (FCAs) and shoppers.
He additionally took notice of how the Philippine personal sector stepped-up in e-commerce, on-line advertising, and distribution; and in investing in meals techniques to deal with the nation’s meals wants, particularly in the course of the quarantine lockdowns.
“I want to focus the intervention of the Philippines on what we expect are the coverage commitments that should be embedded inside the agri-food techniques to make sure greener and climate-resilient initiatives, given key challenges such because the pandemic, agricultural pests and ailments, and local weather change,” he informed fellow agriculture ministers and senior officers from 42 FAO member-countries and 76 non-member nations and governmental and non-governmental organizations.
He additionally emphasised the necessity for partnerships to push the sector’s transformation. “We goal to implement these plans by information change, science uptake and public-private partnerships. We’re additionally scaling-up and sustaining our grassroot flagship local weather program dubbed as AMIA or adaptation and mitigation initiative in agriculture. Thus far 130 AMIA villages have been established within the Philippines,” he stated.
The Dhaka convention is the primary hybrid Asia-Pacific regional convention held by the UN meals company because the pandemic.
For his half, FAO Director-Common Qu Dongyu, stated the “critical results of the pandemic on all sectors, together with meals and agriculture, the sluggish and difficult restoration and the teachings supplied by the pandemic, together with the centrality of the Sustainable Growth Targets (SDGs), highlighted the significance of agrifood techniques and the necessity to rework these techniques in direction of elevated sustainability, resilience, and effectivity.”
Likewise, Hans Hoogeveen, the Impartial Chairperson of the FAO Council, commented on the distinctive challenges going through Asia and the Pacific area and that the shortcomings of the worldwide agri meals system are more and more obvious. He underscored the alternatives introduced by digitalization of agriculture and the upscaling of agricultural improvements for remodeling the area’s agri meals techniques in direction of larger sustainability, resilience, inclusiveness, and effectivity and the availability of higher diet for all
Talking on behalf of civil society organizations, Ahmed Borhan of the Asia Meals Safety Community emphasised that native and indigenous information can present options for sustainable agri meals techniques and livelihoods and that local weather mitigation efforts, together with nature-based options, should take native rights and land tenure under consideration and mustn’t undermine current native, sustainable options.
The FAO members in attendance acknowledged the challenges posed by the pandemic and that nobody resolution matches all and renewed dedication to a deep transformation of agri meals techniques to regain the misplaced floor on meals insecurity, malnutrition, poverty, and job losses.
Additionally they expressed concern concerning the destructive implications from the pandemic for achievement of Agenda 2030 and misplaced floor on a number of SDG targets, which already wanted accelerated efforts even earlier than the pandemic.
They identified that addressing the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic by an built-in and multi-stakeholder response, together with grassroots options from the area, primarily based on the constructing again higher precept, can be essential for reaching the SDGs.
One of many key points in the course of the convention is the event of a brand new thematic FAO local weather change technique that may deal with constructing agri-food techniques that produce extra meals with extra socio-economic advantages, however much less influence on the surroundings and pure sources, generate rural growth and higher livelihood.
The ministers and delegates all referred to the threats from local weather change going through their international locations and the influence on their agriculture and meals sectors. Additionally they emphasised the necessity for climate-smart insurance policies, improvements, and investments in agriculture, to extend climate-resilience of meals manufacturing and improve livelihoods of rural, agricultural, and coastal communities and their related worth chains. For this function, the contributors agreed on the next:
- facilitate international locations’ entry to local weather finance for funding in nationwide precedence actions to deal with dangers and alternatives for agri meals techniques recognized in NDCs, the Sendai Framework’s Indicator C2: direct agricultural loss attributed to disasters and different local weather change insurance policies and methods;
- work with international locations to undertake progressive applied sciences, evidence-based analyses, and partnerships to develop multi-sectoral approaches for scaling-up motion to advertise climate-resilient agri meals techniques and enhance entry to wholesome diets; and
- make sure the engagement of a variety of stakeholders in efforts to advertise climate-resilient agri meals techniques, together with smallholder farmers and native communities, in addition to different private and non-private sector stakeholders.
The convention contributors additionally highlighted the essential function of efficient biosecurity techniques in addressing each emergence of pest and ailments, in addition to transboundary introductions to deal with dangers to human, animal, and plant well being. Additionally they famous the vulnerability of small island creating states to the biosecurity dangers arising from their excessive reliance on meals imports.
Additionally they agreed on the next:
- present technical assist, strategic and coverage steerage, and capability growth to allow, deploy, and develop digital improvements to assist inclusive rural transformation, stronger rural-urban linkages, sustainable employment, and enhanced capacity to soak up launched labor, particularly youth employment and small and mid-size enterprise (SME);
- promote regional collaboration and exchanges to additional advance inclusive digitalization, in coordination with academia, civil society, the personal sector and different growth companions;
- discover the probabilities of a regional coordination and innovation hub to collate and disseminate of knowledge pushed instruments and greatest practices from the area, to develop partnerships partaking with the personal sector and different stakeholders, and to advertise larger cooperation and collaboration;
- construct capability for growth and implementation of sustainable fisheries administration plans, fisheries inventory evaluation and sustainable aquaculture techniques, in cooperation with related regional fishery our bodies;
- develop work and assist regional cooperation on sustainable forestry, particularly sustainable manufacturing, and consumption of wooden;
- promote science-based approaches at nation stage and be certain that information, science, and innovation is well accessible and domestically tailored; and
- strengthen information administration and change as essential points, together with for native/conventional information, by platforms (together with digital ones), boards for sharing expertise.
“We imagine that our collective regional and international response to each the pandemic and local weather change have to be broad, scientific, equitable, and progressive. We should develop environment friendly and resilient meals manufacturing and supply techniques not just for as we speak’s growing inhabitants, but in addition for succeeding generations,” Secretary Dar concluded. ### (Noel O. Reyes, DA StratComms)